Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Response to passing resolutions on reform of the Texas Medical Board at the Texas

Well, these problems will get fixed in Texas as soon as I become the next medical director. If there is one Texas Medical Board member or staff attorney who was not put there because of a conflict of interest, I wouldn't know who it is.

When I'm medical director doctors won't practice law and lawyers won't practice medicine. We will have a failsafe mechanism to file all complaints.

Every complaint will be evaluated initially by volunteer physicians who obtain continuing medical education for their efforts. Eventually, every physician in the state will participate in reviewing complaints. Every complaint will eventually be reviewed by no less than 10 primary care physicians and 5 physicians in the doctor's specialty. Every complaint will initially be determined to be jurisdictional (ie, is the doctor licensed to practice medicine in Texas?) or non-jurisdictional. For complaints which are not jurisdictional to the medical board, this 15-person panel will decide where the jurisdiction lies.

Every complaint will require a probable cause affidavit by someone not affiliated with the medical board.

The function of the board members will be to guard the integrity of the process. They will work with the Texas House Committee on Public Health to bring similar reforms to other state healthcare licensing boards.

The most important thing for readers to help me do right now is to facilitate the momentum we have because of the primary elections we had yesterday, any runoff elections, and the general elections in November.

I need to know where else (Democratic or Republican; Victoria County precinct 33 or other precincts in Texas) these or similar resolutions were passed.

If you care about health care in Texas and voted in either party's primary, get on the Resolutions Committee for your county. The ONLY requirement by law for you to get on this committee is to have voted in the primary.

If you voted in your party's primary and anyone prohibits you from serving on the Resolutions Committee of your county, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Please also report this obstruction of justice to Rule of Law Radio and Alex Jones, both in Austin.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Shirley. What a significant victory!! If you have not already, I will forward this to the Alex Jones show. This is just the kind of pro-active stuff that needs to be disseminated to the people, many of whom have become so broken they have, as I'm sure you know, descended into an abysmal apathy. However, there are still folks out there, and their numbers are growing I believe, who will take this kind of news and run with it. And many of them are AJ callers and listeners.

    Katherine Hine JD


    Note to blog readers: Katherine is an outspoken advocate for abused children and was driven out of this country into a third world Spanish-speaking country in retaliation, in fear for her life. She is very encouraging of my work and has given me permission to post her response. She says she doesn't have reliable access to the Internet where she is and is unable to expend the effort to learn how to respond to a blog post.

    SP
    ****

    Katherine, pls publish to my blog. pls call or skype if you have probs

    SP

    ****

    Shirley,

    You have my permission to cut and paste what I write, but, trust me, I am way, way too technologically challenged to attempt this by myself, especially given the primitive nature of my electronic equipment here in the third world. I hate to be that way, but I am working on so many other issues I know how to handle, and learning Spanish as fast as I can, that I wouldn't be able to deal with the inevitable frustration I encounter even when well-meaning people try to guide me through something on the computer they think is simple.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good. still think the reviewers should include a nurse and lay person even if the others must explain more complicated things to them. too homogeneous a review board could be more easily skewered. same principle with the "thin blue line"...should be citizens on the IA boards.

    ReplyDelete